The Calendar of Overside is the defacto timekeeping method of Overside, which has been in use since the Machine Dominion. The world-disk of Overside spins on a north/south axis, which is what creates its days. These days are roughly as long as Earth days, and 25 days make up one month. Each year on Overside is five months long, which means they are about a third of the length of an Earth year.
An Age, in the calendar, is a collection of years, on average around a thousand or so, that is given a name based on a (somewhat) arbitrary color. There was one age before the Machine Dominion, and there have been four Ages since its fall.<ref>Rice Boy (First Edition), History</ref>
List of Ages
- The creation of the world: God creates Overside, Underside, and the three Avatars. God later creates eight Giants, who shape the lands of the disk.
- The Giant Äm makes Omem, the first Machine Man,<ref>http://www.rice-boy.com/order/index.php?c=430</ref> who in turn creates the four Machine Sons.<ref>http://www.rice-boy.com/order/index.php?c=431</ref>
- The New People-- the organic, mortal species of Overside-- emerge "from the seas and from the deep caverns".<ref>From Machine Dominion, http://www.rice-boy.com/order/index.php?c=432</ref>
- War-King Obilik Blacksword leads the New People to resist the rule of the Machines. The White Age ends with his fall.<ref>Order of Tales (Book III), Appendix: "Timeline"</ref>
"Age of Machines"
Duration: Over 500 years
The time of the Machine Dominion is sometimes referred to as the Age of Machines, although it is unknown if this Age also has a color name.
Duration: 930 years
- 1: As recounted in Rog, the Machine Men were driven to the "North" (likely the Black Teeth) by the new kings and warriors of Overside.<ref>http://www.rice-boy.com/order/index.php?c=277</ref> Machine Lord Omirm himself was killed by one of his slaves, who called himself Rog. This creature wore Omirm's body as armor, and took control of the magic he had hidden.<ref>http://www.rice-boy.com/order/index.php?c=280</ref>. Among all the warlords of the Grey Age, Rog is the only one who is remembered, as his reign was the bloodiest and most lengthy.
- Omo, son of Omem,<ref>http://www.rice-boy.com/order/index.php?c=431</ref> survived to escape to the Teeth, and it was his curse that caused the Machine Men to live lives of only a few centuries, as opposed to their previous quasi-immortality.<ref>Rice Boy (First Edition), History: "The Grey Age"</ref> His intention was for the Machines to never become arrogant enough to rule the world again. The gates of the Black Teeth read "Omo's Spawn", likely in reference to this curse.
- 23: An Offering to Rog from Warriors.
- 362: Taragi established.
Duration: 575 years
The Green Age was one of the most prosperous Ages of Overside. While much of its specific timeline is unknown, many noteworthy events occurred in this Age:<ref>Rice Boy (First Edition), History: "The Green Age"</ref>
- Old Suntown was built.
- The Dorlish Wood was planted, and with it began the line of Tree Keepers.
- The Machine Men built their fortress in the Black Teeth.
- Underside was first discovered by the denizens of Overside, and the two populations mingled and built numerous "Linking Cities", such as Seen.
- The events of The Tusks of Wusterim (which extend throughout the Green Age)
- 321: Kazoot established.
- 444: The One Electronic is born, assuming that he was exactly 3000 years old during the events of Rice Boy. Otherwise, he was born somewhere around this year.
- 537: The Tusks Fall from Warriors.
Duration: 2015 years
While many Blue Age events do not have dates, they are nonetheless arranged roughly chronologically:<ref>Rice Boy (First Edition), History: "The Blue Age"</ref>
Early Blue Age
- The Plague: Underside is decimated, and the Avatar of Mind disappears. The Linking Cities are shut to contain the Plague, and Old Suntown (built above one of the cities) is destroyed.
- Ridrom's Prophecy is delivered, and the three Searchers are chosen. The lineage of the Heirs of Ridrom begins after Ridrom's death.
- 840: War-Man on the Seam from Warriors.
- 855: The beginning of Vattu; Vattu is born.
- 864: Vattu p72 onwards.
- 869: T-O-E turns 1000 (assuming birthdate of Green 444).
Middle Blue Age
- The Order of Tales is formed in Wusterim.
- The explorer Kom plants the first seeds of Kom's Wood on the banks of the Sunk River.
- The Cloud War of Wusterim occurs, causing the Order of Tales to move to Acirca.
- Slent is born.
- 1833: Shade-Kin Soldiers from Warriors.
- 1869: T-O-E turns 2000 (assuming birthdate of Green 444).
- 1989: Slent orders the construction of Tenshells, and, possibly, Shell River.
Late Blue Age
- Teller Speneng records Negat the Tall.
Duration: Ongoing, "currently" at year 870
The Red Age is the most developed of the Ages of Overside, mainly because most of Evan Dahm's comics have been set in this time period. Some of the events in this time period have exact dates; if that is the case they have been noted. All others are approximate:<ref>Rice Boy (First Edition), History: "The Red Age"</ref>
Early Red Age
- Suntown rebuilt.
- 13: Kingdom of Sunk founded by Frog-King Flutch.
- 50: Migration of Hornèds to Stonepalm.<ref>Portraits of Overside: Warriors, Timeline: "The Red Age"</ref>
- Tenshells is the largest and most powerful city-state in south Acirca.<ref>Order of Tales (Book I), Appendix: "Tenshells", p222-3</ref>
- 115: The Treaty of Tenshells from Warriors.
- 143: Gorrk established.
- 148: T-O-E visits the Black Teeth for the last time until Order of Tales.
- 150: Last record of contact between Lowland and Mountain Hornèds.
- 175: Themb finds and destroys Ascent of the Bone Ziggurat.<ref>Order of Tales (Book III), Appendix: "Timeline"</ref>
- 190: Koark is born.<ref>Order of Tales (Book III), Appendix: "Timeline"</ref>
- 194: Terassir Patrollers from Warriors.
- Baroness Esnurz writes A History of the King of Trees<ref>Order of Tales (Book I), Appendix: "Dorl", p222</ref>
- 203: Themb's Castle constructed.<ref>Order of Tales (Book I), Appendix: "The Castle at Skystem", p221</ref>
- 219: Chapter 1 of Order of Tales, Themb's Castle is partially destroyed.
- 221: Rog Torchlord rises in the east, conquering Chira and winning the allegiance of the Blackbirds and Shade-kin.<ref>Order of Tales (Book III), Appendix: "Timeline"</ref>
- 224: Extranji creates the Bottle Woman.<ref>Order of Tales (Book III), Appendix: "Timeline"</ref>
- 225: Rog makes a pact with the Black Teeth, who lock their library at his request.<ref>Order of Tales (Book III), Appendix: "Timeline"</ref>
- 230: Rog begins to expand from eastern to western Acirca.<ref>Order of Tales (Book III), Appendix: "Timeline"</ref>
- 231: Artika of Imfort from Warriors.
- 233: Rog learns of Bottle Woman, and orders his armies to recover her, including the small group led by Æthirus.<ref>Order of Tales (Book III), Appendix: "Timeline"</ref>
- 234: Chapter 2 onward of Order of Tales, as well as The Reach of the Torch from Warriors.
- 244: Death of Caprillo, Machine Exile and historian of the Hornspine.<ref>Order of Tales (Book II), Appendix: "Stonepalm", p276</ref>
- The Torch comes to Tenshells.
- 330: The Walls of Tulim-Kazoot from Warriors.
- 341: The end of Chapter 16 of Order of Tales.<ref>Order of Tales (Book III), Appendix: "Timeline"</ref>
- Kerküsk begins reading books in the Seen Library.<ref>http://www.rice-boy.com/see/index.php?c=325</ref>
- 560: Warden of Surya from Warriors.
- The Revolution of Tsùn occurs in Wusterim.
- T-O-E is emperor of the Gorrkans for much of this century.
- The events of Waiting in Surya.
- The war between Whetton and Suntown over the Tree of Thought occurs around this century (according to Arctaur).
- 690: Gorrkan Bog-Squad from Warriors.
- Spatch is King of Sunk.
- 854: The events of Settling Down, immediately followed by the events of Rice Boy.
- Events of The Jewel of Brambool occur after Rice Boy Chapter 32.