The unnamed War-Man is a character from Vattu. He is introduced as a simple slave and bodyguard to Morrian and his party of Sahtan conquerers, but his bloody past is fleshed out in a series of flashbacks in Book 2. Like all who come from Grenth, the War-Man does not speak. He forms a strange friendship with Vattu as they travel north from the Flutelands.
During his "service" as part of the Sahtan party, the War-Man generally dresses in a cowled cloak, loincloth, and a large metal pauldron. The pauldron, as well as a part of the harness holding it on, bears an unexplained zig-zag or lighting-bolt symbol.<ref>http://www.rice-boy.com/vattu/index.php?c=184</ref>
Major events in the War-Man's life are depicted in flashbacks, which are indicated by the lack of panel boundaries. While they are presented out of order in the comic, they are listed chronologically below:
- p147 to p152: The young War-Man is led down into the Seam, where he slays a young rival and earns a mark to match that of his tribe's chieftain (who may be his father, adopted or biological).
- p160 to p164: The chieftain of the War-Man's tribe is slain in a large battle against a tribe bearing weapons and jewelry made of bone. As the chieftain is cremated, the War-Man reaches into the pyre, pulling forth a pendant marked with the chieftain's symbol. This is his first "trophy".
- p173 to p179: The War-Man, now leading the tribe, hunts the bone tribe to their camp in the Bonewood. He personally slays the leader of their tribe, taking the dead War-Man's bone necklace as his second trophy.
- p192 to p196: A montage of flashbacks to battles, interspersed with the War-Man training Vattu. He is shown getting four more trophies, bringing his total to six: a carapace pauldron (p192), a seamstone necklace (p194), a necklace with a wooden trinket (p195), and a red sash (p196).
- (future flashbacks will likely occur here, showing how he gained the skull necklace, bone armband, and Sahtan officer's sash as shown on p126)
- p126 to p132: The War-Man, wearing nine of the trophies he has gathered (listed above), leads a massive army against a Sahtan landing party. However, the tide of the battle turns against the War-Men, and he is roped, shot with arrows, and subdued.
- p135 to p136: A brief scene showing the War-Man kneeling on the beach after the previous battle, and then looking up at an unknown figure in a purple cloak.
Presumably, after this point the War-Man is made a Sahtan slave, and later put under the direction of Torrant. Considering Torrant's title, "Warden of the Grenth Guard", there is potentially an organization ("the Grenth Guard") made up of captured War-Men forced into fighting for Sahta.